Winter months bring cold days and long nights. Most of us are on the January Whole 30 and so what is there to do but sit and stare at the things you want to fix around the house? That’s what I do anyway….draft these grandiose plans of things I will do when I hit the lottery. And then proceed to….NOT hit the lottery. Doing little things around the house satiate my need for bigger plans (sometimes-my husband may disagree). Our January started with Mr. LoveWhereYouLive tackling a Board & Batten project in our living room. It gave a whole new breath of fresh air! While you wait for the weather to warm up, there are still plenty of great DIY projects to tackle, even in the winter. Here are 7 terrific ideas for the Do it Yourselfer in you.
- Paint Your Walls – The idea of painting is always way worse than the actual act. Paint an accent wall or an entire room with a fresh color. Check out Benjamin Moore 2019 Deisgn Trends for inspiration.
- Declutter – Who has been sucked into Marie Kondo on Netflix?? Have you seen an uptick in your motivation to declutter? Removing excess clothes, toys, even furnishings can help your overall mood in these do drum months.
- Update Your Kitchen – A new backsplash or even something as simple as cabinet pulls can quickly change the look and feel of your kitchen.
- Add Insulation – Okay so this is less glamourous BUT it will provide instant satisfaction as those cold, drafty rooms feel warm and cozy. If you have some real skill, you can include changing out old windows or doors as well.
- Smarten Up – This is a great time to automate your home with Smart devices. Add security cameras, a smart thermostat or smart lights and plugs.
- Build Something – For the handy, winter months are a great time to add cabinets, a TV hutch or bookshelves to your home. Keep in mind you dont have to be Ty Pennington here….do a quick Ikea run and you’ll have a whole new batch of things to build.
- Re-Grout Your Tile – From kitchen counters to floors,re-grouting can freshen up the room.